Fishing Tournament Update:
2019 JIYC Fishing Tournament Rules and Regulation
1. Eligible fish: King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel and Inshore Species: Trout, Sheepshead, and Flounder.
2. Fishing begins at 6:30 AM . Lines may not be in the water prior to that time.
3. No more than 6 lines per boat. All fish must be caught on rods and reels. No wire lines.
4. Once fishing lines have been deployed, you cannot pass any items to another boat, except in emergency situations
.5. Only one grand prize award per boat/per species, per angler category
6. All fish may be subject to Tory Meter test and/or to be cut open for inspection. If any lead/foreign material is found, fish will be disqualified.
7. All decisions made by the rules committee and/or grievance committee are final. Any protest must be submitted in writing with applicable protest fee( $75.00 ) to the committee chairman within 30 minutes after the last boat is weighed in.
8. This is a one day fishing tournament. If the National Weather Service has issued any small craft advisory on VHF Channel 1 by their 5 am update for July 27th, the tournament will be postponed to July 28th. Again on Sunday, at 5 am, if any small craft advisory is in effect, the tournament will be canceled. It is the sole discretion of the captain to allow his vessel to fish. All captains and/or owners are responsible for their vessel and crew.
9. In the event the tournament is cancelled, all entry fees less $60 per boat (KMT) or $15 per angler (Inshore division) will be returned by check, via mail, within 30 days.
10. It is recommended that at least one member from each boat attend the captains meeting at the JIYC. Meeting starts at 7:00PM. Each competing boat will receive an ID number that will be necessary to weigh in. It is the captains' and/or owners' responsibility to become aware of clarifications or rule changes, by his or her attendance.
11. In the event of ties for awards, the earliest time of weigh-in will determine the winner.
12. THERE IS NO RESTRICTION ON PORT OF EXIT OR RETURN - Fishing to be within South Carolina state lines straight out from Little River (North) and Savannah River Ship Channel (South). Inshore species are to be caught in open navigational waters and estuaries. Inshore fish are not permitted to be caught from impoundments, salt ponds with damns or dykes, neighborhood lakes or areas with manmade restrictions to flow and boat traffic.
13. All fish must be weighed in at the official weigh station as designated by the JIYC committee. Offshore species must be brought in by boat.
14. Weigh in will take place from 3:00 – 5:00 PM Saturday or 2:00 - 4:00 PM Sunday (if Saturday Fishing was postponed) on the day of the tournament. Any angler from the participating boat will be responsible for bringing the fish to be weighed, which were caught from that boat, to the weigh station, and removing all fish from the property.
15. Tying up to the dock will not be permitted so that others may also drop off. Boat number must be presented to check in boat near the end of the pier. Boats will be staged in holding area until called to dock via VHF radio.
16. Mutilated fish will not be accepted for weigh in and all fish shall be caught in open navigable waters. No fish shall be caught in a controlled body of water like an impound, diked ditch, salt pond or area with tidal flow control.
17. There will be a limit of two fish per species/per person (inshore) which will be accepted for weigh in. There will be a 36 inch minimum fork length for King Mackerel. Only one fish per offshore species allowed to weigh in per boat.
18. Anglers may register at the Registration/Captain's meeting, or by mail to the James Island Yacht Club. It is the responsibility of the captain to verify mail registrations with the Tournament Committee.
19. Tournament committee reserves the right to change rules based on weather, or any other circumstances or reason it sees fit, at any time.
20. Adherence to all State and Federal Laws as they pertain to the eligible species is the sole responsibility of the Angler.
21. Tournament VHF channel will be : # 72. All KMT Boats must have a vhf with channel 16 and 72.
22. PLEASE CHECK THE CLUB’S WEB SITE ( www.jiyc.org ) FOR ANY ADDITIONS OR CHANGES.
23. No LATE REGISTRATION Beyond 9:00PM - July 26th:
24. You must provide Social security number to receive cash prizes.
25. Southern King Fish Association rules apply to the King Mackerel Tournament.